Note to Readers...

Dear Friends,

Although the contents of this blog have been preserved below, new postings to this blog ended on January 3, 2011. But please checkout my new blog: "Embracing Jesus."

April

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Answer to a willing spirit, but weak flesh: Prayer with Friends

Jesus teaches that our spirit may be willing, but that our flesh is weak.  He demonstrates that prayer - praying with friends - is the answer to over coming the flesh and living in the spirit.

On the night before Jesus died...

Matthew 26:31-46 31 Then Jesus said to them, "You will all become deserters because of me this night; for it is written, 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32 But after I am raised up, I will go ahead of you to Galilee." 33 Peter said to him, "Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you." 34 Jesus said to him, "Truly I tell you, this very night, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times." 35 Peter said to him, "Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you." And so said all the disciples. 36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37 He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. 38 Then he said to them, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me." 39 And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want." 40 Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, "So, could you not stay awake with me one hour? 41 Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." 42 Again he went away for the second time and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." 43 Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand."

Do we ignore Jesus' teaching to stay awake and pray (with friends!) when the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak?

Jesus is facing rejection, humiliation, torture, and death.  This is God's plan to reconcile all of humanity with himself.  Jesus' spirit is willing to do God's will, but his flesh is not so happy with what is going to happen in the next few hours.  So Jesus brings his closest friends (three of his disciples) with him for support.  He asks them to "stay awake with him and to pray" while he goes and prays too. 

The verses leading up to this event (in Chapter 24) tell the disciples over and over to "stay awake."  "Staying awake" means they will be able to outsmart those who want to steal from them, to take care of the things and people entrusted to them, to be prepared, to even increase the gifts God has given them.  And now... here comes the first test for these disciples.  Jesus has already told him that his death is going to happen really soon.  He is scared. Upset. Grieved!  Jesus' flesh doesn't want to face torture and death.  His spirit is willing, but his flesh says, "no."  He wants to talk it over with God.  And he wants his friends to stay awake and pray while he does.

But his friends take a nap. 

Jesus walks back to where they were to be praying - I believe to talk over what God has revealed to him in his prayer - and they are asleep!  Some friends!  What a great support system. His friends won't even pray with him during his darkest hour.

I had the experience recently of needing healing from a very broken heart.  God had told me "no" to something very precious to me - something I loved very much.  I wasn't mad at God, but I was having a hard time understanding God's plan - a hard time adjusting to rejection and loss.  My friend asked if she could sit and pray - not with me - but for me - as I prayed to God.  We sat together - she prayed silently for me as I had a silent heart-to-heart with God.  I didn't realize that what I was experiencing was what Jesus had wanted his disciples to do for him on the night before he died.  He wanted them to stay awake and pray while he prayed.  As my friend and I prayed, we would stop to talk about what God was revealing to me.  We prayed for a long time. She "stayed awake" with me and interceeded for me. It was the most powerful prayer I have ever experienced.

If you are experiencing a "willing spirit, but weak flesh", Jesus teaches us by his example to grab a friend (one who won't fall asleep) and ask them to pray for you as you talk to God.  Pause occasionally to talk about what God is revealing.  And then pray some more.  This is how Jesus has taught us to strengthen a willing spirit and overcome weak flesh.

Do we ignore Jesus' teaching to stay awake and pray (with friends!) when the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak?  Is there someone you need to stay awake and pray with today?

No comments: